Snapshot: Now and Then

 Winterbourne’s broad terrace was employed successfully by architect, JL Ball, as a means of transitioning from house to garden. Ball prescribed a typically understated treatment of the retaining wall and in particular the small verandah which links projecting cross wings on either side: ‘the ceiling and walls inside the verandah to be whitewashed and the … More Snapshot: Now and Then

Blowing Hot and Cold

In 1944 Winterbourne’s third and final private owner, John Nicolson, bequeathed the house and garden to the University of Birmingham. Responsibility for the garden was assumed by the Department of Botany who quickly renamed the grounds as the ‘Winterbourne Research Gardens’ supplementing the already established plant collection with new species intended for use by students … More Blowing Hot and Cold